On Monday MPs, MEPs, Councillors, trade unionists and members of the public from across the Liverpool City Region attended the launch of Steve Rotheram’s campaign to become the areas first Metro Mayor.They got to hear his priorities and his vision for the city region.
Steve has lived in Liverpool for most of his life, and has represented the city as a councillor and later an MP for 15 years. He knows the problems the city has had in the past and how to improve its future.
Some of the policies that Steve announced in his speech were:
- Reducing the fast-tag cost of a single journey through the tunnels to £1.
- The Liverpool City Region is to become a dementia and autism friendly City Region.
- Creating a Liverpool City Region Renewable Energy Company using offshore tidal energy to power homes.
- Prioritising the offer of an affordable home -; whether people want to rent or own it.
- Establishing a ‘pathways to excellence’ programme, which connects schools with Universities and links them with global businesses.
- Introducing an Independent Careers Service to help young people to make informed decisions about their future.
- Developing an apprenticeship portal that young people can access to apply for apprenticeship opportunities wherever they exist across the region.
- Bringing forward detailed plans to introduce concessionary travel passes for new apprentices.
Steve’s policies set out a clear vision a more connected city region with high quality and less expensive transport links. This will make business and travel easier in the region allowing wealth to be spread across the region.
Steve also wants to make Liverpool a place where everyone has the opportunity to get on in life. By improving education, apprenticeships and affordable housing everyone in Liverpool will get a good beginning.
I am sure that Steve will announce more policies throughout his campaign and I look forward to helping him realise his vision by campaigning to get him elected. I know that Steve will be a good metro mayor for this city and I hope you will support him.